Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brown Spots on the Bottom of Tomatoes

I saw this a couple times last year but not much.  This year I started to see it on every tomato that started growing to be a nice size on my one plant.  Only on the plant that is in a 5 gallon bucket.  The tomato plants that are planted out in the yard are ok.  Tomatoes look like they are coming in healthy.  I have been doing some research about this and found it is called blossom end rot.  I have seen a couple reasons for this happening so I am hoping that I am able to stop it from happening in this plant.  I have read that it can be a calcium deficiency and I also read that it can be from inconsistent watering.  The plant affected is in a big planter so it is possible that either or both could be the problem.  It does have holes in the bottom of the bucket to drain properly however our weather has been quite crazy lately.  We had a week of rain and then it got real hot and dry.  Now it is getting hotter and still dry-yikes! I am hoping this inconsistent water flow is what had caused it, but at least all the plants in the yard seem to be doing good.  The plant itself looks real healthy, it is just this blossom end rot!
If anybody has any suggestions, please feel free to leave me a comment.  Thank you :)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment